Thursday, January 2, 2014

You are What you Eat...or Are you?



Recently I’ve been considering the topic of food. I don’t know about you but I often find myself wishing that I were rich so I could just buy “healthy” food  -you know: raw milk, organic produce, grass-fed beef, more nuts and less grains, etc.  We do make an effort to purchase food that is good for us.  Over the past several years we’ve cut down on lots of boxed foods and increased our consumption of fresh ingredients.  Honestly I can’t remember the last time we had Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in our house.

The facts are, however, that we can’t seem to figure out how to afford a food snob completely healthy diet.  We get dairy, some extra produce and then I get to the meat section and think, “Well, I can have the store brand or sell a kid.”


 While the latter would be cost effective in the long term, it’s not really what I would consider an option. 

So, we still have things in our house like dry cereal (the cheapest ones), candy, mostly un-organic produce, and even get some of that pink slime they call ground beef occasionally.  Many days it’s easy to see what other people are choosing to eat and think that I’m pretty much just making my family sick. We are destined to have health problems forever because I can’t afford the best.

It wasn’t long ago while I was feeling defeated in this area that Brandon reminded me that we ask Jesus to bless our food, which, in turn, reminded me of a verse in the Bible:

1 Timothy 4:4-5 “For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.”

Yay! A magic potion! Ok, maybe not really, but sort of.  While I don’t think this is license to just eat junk food all day,



I do think that there is something real and effective about taking the time to thank Jesus for our food and ask for his blessing over it. 

 I believe that change does take place. 

He takes our efforts to make healthy choices and then makes them what it needs to be for us.  I mean, if the food is already completely good for us anyway, why bother asking for God’s help? We need him- even if we eat the absolute finest ingredients in the world!

So I know most of you are in a similar boat. 

You have a set budget for food that doesn’t seem to quite stretch to get what you would like.  Here’s good news!  God knows!  We can thank him for what he supplies us with and believe that He makes it everything we need it to be.

Trust you have some blessed, yummy food that God provides today and don’t forget to thank him for it.

3 comments:

  1. Since I don't have the money to buy groceries and the cafeteria is next to dog food I regularly feel defeated before I even serve my plate It puts a new perspective on that tastless mush I'm being served when I think of it as super naturally enhanced mush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true, God has caused people to live on much less before. I like it: super naturally enhanced mush!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Mary! After Will was diagnosed with celiac last year, and after all the digestive trials we've had with E, I made 'acquiring healthy food even if it made my family upset because they didn't like it because it WILL make them feel better' an idol without realizing it and needed to be reminded last summer that He provides for us and we offer our thanks for it, whether it's what we think is best or not. He is so, so, SO patient. (and, it turns out, so is the rest of my family...most of the time).

    ReplyDelete